From Please Don't Be Dead.
Feb 8, 2019
Dec 28, 2018
Here are my top 10 songs of 2018 (#s 11-30 here). There's a Spotify playlist of 1-30 at the bottom.
10. Fantastic Negrito – Transgender Biscuits
I don't have a clue what this song is about but it's so much fun. Maybe it's about how stuff's tough all over for everybody, so we might as well have a good time and love everybody while we're at it. Maybe it's about biscuits. Whatever.
9. Jamie Lin Wilson – Death & Life
8. Caitlyn Smith – This Town Is Killing Me
7. Father John Misty – Please Don't Die
6. Ashley McBryde – Tired of Being Happy
5. Cody Jinks – Colorado
4. Lori McKenna – The Lot Behind St. Mary's
3. Lucie Silvas – My Old Habits
Expertly crafted, well -produced, strongly performed bar rock is one of my musical sweet spots and this gets right in there. It was stuck in my head for days on end and that never became annoying. Lucie sings the hell out of this song. It gives me some Bonnie Raitt vibes, and that's never a bad thing.
2. Ruston Kelly – Faceplant
Catchy misery is one of my musical sweet spots and this is a bullseye. "Not even angels came around" really drove it home.
1. YOB – Our Raw Heart
Epic, emotional, visceral, tortured. "Our Raw Heart" conjures images of mountains rising, of ice cliffs smashing into one another, of 90 foot waves falling against the shore, continents sliding into the sea. It's gigantic, ugly, and beautiful all at once. YOB nearly didn't exist into 2018; its singer Mike Scheidt almost died of intestinal issues in 2017. The album was a statement of survival and growth after trauma, and this, the title song, was its raw, beating heart. A cathartic masterpiece.
Oct 3, 2018
Usual disclaimers: This is Trailer's top 20. The year-end list will be compiled from all FTM contributors' votes. 3 more months to go - this'll change a lot by December.
1. Dallas Moore - Mr. Honky Tonk
2. Ashley McBryde - Girl Going Nowhere
3. Fantastic Negrito - Please Don't Be Dead
4. Ruston Kelly - Dying Star
5. Neko Case - Hell On
6. Blackberry Smoke - Find a Light
7. Caitlyn Smith - Starfire
8. John Prine - Tree of Forgiveness
9. Lucero - Among the Ghosts
10. Brent Cobb - Providence Canyon
11. Joshua Hedley - Mr. Jukebox
12. Rolo Tomassi - Time Will Die and Love Will Bury It
13. Lori McKenna - The Tree
14. Cody Jinks - Lifers
15. Glorietta - s/t
16. Kacey Musgraves - Golden Hour
17. Ryan Culwell - The Last American
18. Brandi Carlile - By the Way, I Forgive You
19. Buffalo Gospel - At the Last Bell
20. Shooter Jennings - Shooter